Thursday 22 September 2011

Encore en frois, s'il vous plait?

When the question was asked of me whether I'd rather go to France or Croatia for my last real trip to Europe before going home I did have to think for a few seconds. I've had several amazing trips to both. But even though it was a tough question the answer could never have been anything but France. It was my birthday on the Monday so Carla pretty much organised the whole trip. I knew our Eurostar times on Friday morning and Monday evening, where we were staying, and that we had spare time on Friday afternoon and Saturday night, but what I didn't know was that I'd be treated like a king all weekend.

On Saturday we saw Chateaux Versailles, Louis XIV's old crib.
Obviously a few generations worth of Louis lived there but I found it interesting that there was very little furniture in the palace because it was all auctioned off/ looted (there are conflicting stories) at the beginning of the French Revolution. Take note kids- if you're gonna loot JD Sports or Phones for You, think about how much cooler it would be to get a royal throne rather than a pair of Air Max...




Dad, I believe this is the building you like...  Sorry, we just had to jump in and spoil what would have been a very nice picture!


Sunday was set aside as a whole day activity, yet I had no idea what it would be.  When Carla gave me a birthday card with two tickets to Disneyland I was embarrassingly excited.  I went to Disney World when I was 12 and the aura hasn't subsided.  I still think it's magic.
Anyone who says Disneyland isn't fantastic is lying to themselves.  I think it might be the best idea for a present Carla has ever given because she was equally excited as we planned the order we would attack each ride.  Just for the record- Space Mountain: Best. Ride. Ever.

Monday was a relaxing day as we chose to ignore our pending return to London.  Not before another surprise from Carla, however, on the birthday weekend that never ended!  We had an incredible lunch at Restaurant du Palais Royal.  The most amazing food in such a beautiful setting.

Thanks for all the birthday messages, and thanks Carla for a phenomenal weekend!

One day I'll get the balls to live in France...

No comments: